MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Should I ask my wife's Dr. her expected life span?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Should I ask my wife's Dr. her expected life span?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jim Hermann
    Participant

“Thank you for your email with information regarding your wife’s health. It appears that your wife is in the intermediate-1 to high risk.” per MDS staff

Per her Dr. RAEB -1; IPSS-R score 6

My wife, age 72, BMT 21 years ago to the day she started her MDS tx, July 13, 2018 (Vidaza) every fourth week.
    From what I’ve read on this site and elsewhere, the mean life expectancy is about 18 months from dx for her category. Her quality of life now is bottom of the barrel with fatigue so severe it’s almost beyond description. So far, she’s received 7 units of blood. Her MDS dx date is July 2017. Her initial dx 21 years ago was ALL.

We’ve always agreed that if death is imminent, why not stop treatment and try to live the remaining months with a decent quality of life. She is absolutely miserable.

I’ve not had this specific discussion with my wife and do not know if I should.

Do I remain silent or do we have the tough discussion with her Dr. and her?

I understand that no one else can make this decision but I’d sure welcome advice!

rar
    Participant

4 years ago I was told I had life expectancy of 5 months. Life expectancy is a statistical average. Every day you wake up on the green side is a bonus day.

Ray

Annette Cook
    Participant

I’m pretty much in the same situation with my husband, although his MDS has advanced to AML. He does not want to try a trial and is not eligible for further treatment because of his age (70). Just 1 week ago Drs. Told us he had days, maybe weeks but not months to live. But he has responded to steroids and IVIG, miraculously and they don’t know why. You might try and pin your doctor down about it. At that point you may be able to get hospice to help both of you. If you think talking about this will upset her more than she already is or make her lose hope, then don’t do it.

rar
    Participant

I would disagree about being too old to be treated. I had a SCT at age 74.

Ray

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert