MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

stem cell bone marrow

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board stem cell bone marrow

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    covergirl

Can someone help me please with this elementary question. What’s the difference, if any, from a stem cell transplant and a bone marrow transplant?

Dennis

Basically, its the source of the cells. When the term “stem cell transplant” is used, the cells are generally harvested from the peripherial blood stream of the donor, while “bone marrow transplant” is actually removed from the hip bones of the donor. They are both stem cells — its only the source that changes.

Either type is infused into the patient the same way– so from the patient standpoint there is no difference. Some believe the peripheral stem cells infuse faster.

I’m sure others can add to this more completely.

D

DonUK

Hi covergirl,

Stem cells are generally harvested from the blood stream (PBSC – Peripheral Blood Stem Cells). Normally the donor is given some stimulant injections to cause the marrow to overproduce so the stem cells spill out into the blood stream. They are then harvested via (I believe it’s called) apheresis. If I remember rightly, the donor is hooked up to a machine and then the blood is taken from one arm, through the machine and then replaced in the other arm. Bit like giving blood.

Bone marrow however is actually drawn from teh marrow itself. i.e. A needle into the pelvis like a bone marrow biopsy. Clearly in that instance you get whatever is in the marrow – both stem cells and partially developed cells.

There appears to be pros and cons with both, but so slight it doesn’t make that much of a difference to the recipient.

Hope this helps,
    Don

covergirl

Don and Dennis,
    Thanks for the very good explanations. I do appreciate it.
    –cheryl

willie

covergirl What we were told was that the stem cell method had a quicker recovery time for the patient. The bone marrow choice has a slighly lower chance of contracting GvHD.

Willie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert