MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Steroids to treat symptoms of MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Steroids to treat symptoms of MDS

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Joe Catalano
    Participant

Does anyone have any information about whether steroids have used to treat symptoms of MDS? Especially pain and tiredness and weakness.Thank you. The reason I ask is that I had a steroid hip injection. It did help my hip and it also helped my overall body to relieve pain and weakness.

Ashley Moncrief

Hi Joe,

That’s a great question. I can’t give medical advice, but I might be able to provide a little insight. I have seen it used for short term treatment of side effects such as nausea, rash, and arthritic type pain. When you receive a steroid injection, it is considered “localized” because the effects of the medication are limited to the area where it was given. If you take steroids by mouth, the effects are more widespread. There are some pretty significant side effects of using pills long term such as increased risk for infection, diabetes, loss of bone density, trouble sleeping, and muscle wasting. Overtime, the risks can outweigh the benefits. At high doses, it can actually impact your white blood cell count.

The decision on when to prescribe steroids is definitely based on the needs of each individual patient. If you think you could benefit from it, definitely ask your doctor to get his or her input.

Hope this helps!

Ashley

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert