MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Surgical Outcomes

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Surgical Outcomes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    californiagirl
    Participant

I’m curious to hear from those who have had outpatient/inpatient surgeries and if they experienced any changes to their blood counts and bone marrow biopsies. I am a MDS -5Q patient on Revlimid for almost 9 years with stable low normal counts until recently when I had an outpatient procedure on my foot approximately 4 months ago. I get CBC every 4 months and had one prior to my surgery (stable low normal numbers), recently had my CBC to discover that my counts all have dropped (specifically WBC 2 and platelets 80), had a shot of neupogen, taken off Revlimid and CBC every 2 weeks. After being off Revlimid for 4 weeks, WBC have gone up a tad (3.2), but platelets which had gone up 120 are now 78, RBCs continue to fall ever so slightly each time (3.4). Have any of you had this problem post op and did your counts eventually go back to your baseline? If you had a BMB what changed? After doing a little research I discovered that surgeries are really not advised for MDS patients, but have read how for some people it was no big deal. My oncologist never informed me of the possibilities nor did he even mention that certain antibiotics can cause bone marrow suppression (which he mentioned AFTER). Come to find out I was given one of those via IV during surgery. I kind of wondered about my whites during post surgical healing as it took forever to heal and at one point needed a topical antibiotic (declined taking a pill, thank God) to help it along. Thankfully, I’m fully healed now. But now I have to deal with the aftermath. I’m thinking with the latest counts and ruling out Revlimid that I’m headed for a BMB. 🙁

stacey
    Participant

Californiagirl,
    I had surgery to remove my thyroid back in 2011, and I found my old lab results from Quest from before and after. My whites and platelets did not drop post-surgery. Maybe someone else had a different experience, though. If the doctors do want another BMB, I hope all goes well for you. Take care, -Stacey

californiagirl
    Participant

Hi Stacey, Thanks for the response. I’m headed for another BMB to see what’s going on. Counts continue to drop despite holding Revlimid. We’ll see!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert