MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

too many platelets???

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board too many platelets???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    shirlsgirl

Hi everyone,

I didn’t think this would happen. Last week my mom’s cbc showed platelets at 168,000. This week they are over 500,000! I hope they don’t keep going up! Also, her WBC’s have come down from 19 to just over 11. (mono.s still high though, was 0.32 and are now at 0.62. She is now tapering off of the prednisone…. strange.

Well, she met with another hemo doc. yesterday, Dr. Leber a very nice man. He said her CMML is an ‘interesting’ case because it is similar to CML with a particular chromosomal abnormality. So, he’s ready to prescribe Gleevec for her if her drug plan can cover it. The drug will cost about 45,000 dollars a year!!! Please cross your fingers….my mom’s calling today…I sure hope it is covered and I sure hope it works.

Jody

Jack_dup1

Hi Jody,
    In regards to the Gleevac, it could be a good thing. I was on a Gleevac trial, but I do not have that chromosone abnormality, only about 2% of CMML patients do. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.
    Jack

shirlsgirl

Thank you Jack smile How are you? I think of you often. Hope you are well.

It’s a go, mom spoke with her drug company..I wish she didn’t have to wait 2 weeks…it would be nice to get started right away.

Jody

sarah

Jody, glad its a go. Hope it works for her.

Suzanne

Jody, It’s a go and it’s covered and it sounds like with her chromo change she has a better chance then many that it will work! Here’s hoping!!

Andrea

Hey Jody

What good news. I don’t know about my moms chromosomes, I’ll have to ask her Hematologist. I did ask him about Gleevac when she was first diagnosed and he said that it wasn’t for this type of MDS. I’ll have to inquire about that too!!

Hope the treatment starts soon and wish it success!

Andrea

alexandra7
    Participant

YEAHHH!!! If it’s a go it’s one point for you in this battle . Good for your mom !!! Hope to hear even better news smile and it works well(in fact think positive —IT WILL WORK )Alexa

geebeebee

Great news, Jody! Best of luck for positive results.

Greg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert