MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Topaceous Gout with MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Topaceous Gout with MDS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SusanJ

Has anyone ever had chronic topaceous gout? My dad is having a terrible time with this and from what I’ve read about it, having MDS or leaukemia makes this condition worse. Thanks for any info.

Neil

Hi Susan,
    A friend of mine has gout. This might sound simplistic, but he drinks cherry juice and keeps it under control.

Caroline

Susan,

My Dad has Leukemia and he also has Gout in his hands. It is very painful.

Neil,

Cherry juice….I will go and pick some up for Dad tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Caroline

hmblume

Susanj, I have CMML which is still somewhat under the MDS umbrella in the USA. In the last 3 months, I have acquired “probably gout” or “probably pseudo-gout”, and am being medicated for the gout. It started in the 5th finger of my right hand, Colchicine medicine seemed to activate the gout in my left hand. After nearly 3 months, I now also have a swollen right foot and swollen big toe of that foot.
    The gout web-sites state that gout may be a co-morbidity of leukemia (and we have some of the leukemia blood counts). Allopurinol is taken to reduce one’s uric acid, but doesn’t treat the gout. Colchicine alleviates the gout and/or makes the next attack less severe, but doesn’t get at the cause of gout. However, those with low platelets (me) are warned against Colchicine. The dietary recommendations are included in the gout web-sites; Patti also has recommendations.
    I will try cherry juice; also will end now. I tend to believe that symptoms and treatments are sensitive to blood counts, to uric acid level, to diet, and probably a lot more…and thus what works for me may not work for you.
    Best wishes and with great interest HB

SusanJ

Thanks for the reply HB. I never dreamed that gout could be this bad. Daddy has taken colchichine daily for 10 years as sort of a maintenance/preventive measure for his gout. But since he was diagnosed with MDS in January his gout has been virtually uncontrollable. Now since we found out that colchicine isn’t good for people with low platelets, I don’t know what we will do. We can’t win for losing, everything counteracts something. All of daddy’s blood lines are affected by this disease, he has low red cells, white cells, and low platelets. I will pray for you and I wish you all the best. I have found some wonderful friends through this forum.

Susan

patti

Susan,

You can do a search of this forum for gout and I listed a bunch of natural things one can do to treat it and feel better. Unfortunately, you are right. Everything counteracts something – which is why it’s always better to try the natural first. You’re less likely to cause something else to go awry. Let me know if you can’t find the posting where I listed it all and I’ll try to post again.

Patti

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert