MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

TRANSFUSIONS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board TRANSFUSIONS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    diner

I am thinking of having a Portocath put in since it’s so hard to get my veins anymore, but for those of you that don’t want to give in to a Portocath, I’d ask the nurse to numb the vein first. They started doing that for me. I could handle a little sting a lot better than the pain trying to get into a vein. Dee

lindajo

Thanks for the tip, I am debating a port too. It gives me something else to try.

stacyl

is it possible to get the transfusion in your leg? when i had lyme disease years back, they said they could use my legs and it would probably last longer. something to ask before the port.

diner

Stacyl, I would rather have a port. A friend of mine has one and loves it because people can’t tell you have it and it’s painless to get the blood or take blood. She said about 1 1/2 hrs. before her appointment, she applies a little lidocaine cream (called Emla) and she doesn’t feel a thing. Dee

covergirl

I too got a port this summer. I was reluctant to get one, but am so glad I did. My arms were beginning to look like those of a drug addict. My veins are very small and also roll making it very difficult and painful to get blood from my arms. One of my infusion nurses also told me about the cream, however, I can handle the few seconds of pain to access the port. My hemo’s office uses a numbing spray.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert