MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Transplant complete

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Transplant complete

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mary4Mike
    Participant

I wanted to let everyone know that Mike completed his bone marrow transplant procedure yesterday. It took 2 days because they were only able to harvest 2.9 million stem cells the first day. They gave those to him and then his sister had to return the next day to donate again. They were able to harvest 3.2 million the second day and those were given to him yesterday. They told us that 5 to 8 million is the desirable range and that 4 million is the minimum. They were pleased with 6.2. Today is Day 1 of this journey. They expect him to nadir between days 5 and 9. His counts should begin to rise days 10 to 14. Once his ANC is 1 or more for 2 consecutive days and he has no other issues, he will be discharged. So far it has been pretty uneventful which is fine with us.

We never thought it would come to this, but we have learned to never say never.

Take care,
    Mary4Mike

Hunter Bob

Mary – I’ve been holding my breath waiting to hear. So glad it has been accomplished and the Dr.s are happy with the process.

I could hear your fear in your last post as you waited to have the transplant completed.

I am praying to give you strength over the next few days while Mike’s body nadirs and to give Mike strength– watching your husband go through this time is so hard.

Hope there is exciting news in 10 days.

~ K

Esther

The relief must be fantastic Mary – what great teamwork and such a good result so far.

Fingers and toes all crossed for the next 10 days and beyond.

Renée xx

adb001
    Participant

I am so glad to hear that the transplant went well. I will pray for an uneventful and successful recovery.

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Thank you for the prayers and well wishes. Today is Day 4 and his counts are dropping on schedule. His ANC today is .4 and they expect it to bottom out. His HGB is holding at 10.5. They are watching closely for fever or any other signs of infection.

Mary

ccpat

All sounds good! Hang in and keep up the spirits! Our warmest wishes to you!

Pat

Jack_dup1

I have not posted for a while and am surprised that you have progressed this far. I wish you and Mike the very best during these difficult days a head.
    Jack r.

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Jack r,
    I am thrilled that Dacogen is working for you! Mike tried many cycles of it and saw no improvement. He had terrible nadirs on it, three ended up with him in the hospital.

I have to say that so far, his Dacogen nadirs were worse than his induction chemo for the transplant. He is at Day 10, counts have dropped, but really no other complaints. We realize this isn’t over yet, but we are thankful so far.

Yes, this did seem to progress fast. When his bone marrow showed cytogenetic changes we decided to go for it….considering his and his sister’s ages. Also, we were blessed with a perfect match.

Thank you for the well wishes. I will update on the forum when I can.

Mary

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert