MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Update on Ron

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Update on Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    PhyllisA

Just to let you know. I took Ron to Ann Arbor on Monday, they did some blood tests and admitted him immedediately. He has progressed to AML and they want to start treatment right away. He will be in one of two clinical trials…which the doctor said would be chemo along with other medications that he believes would be beneficial. His white count was in the 90’s and he had 40% blasts in his blood. They have been running a number of tests since admitting him…today they did a BMB and put in a Hickman (port for the medication). He was pretty worn out. The Dr. said to plan to be there for 30 days, as they want to monitor him carefully.

Thanks to all who responded to my previous post.

Phyllis

patti

Phyllis,

Hoping the trial will work for Ron and that you’ll both be able to breathe easier after the 30 days of treatment is up. Take care of yourself. Ron will have lots of people taking care of him.

Take care.

Patti

Suzanne

Phyllis, Hang in there. I once walked a road very similiar and am happily looking back after the drugs were successful in treating my AML. Sure hope the same happens for Ron. I too was in the hospital for 30 days- twice- and I was so glad. I seemed to have a lot less problems with them watching me so closely and taking care of everything that came up very quickly until my counts were headed back to a safe range then those that were sent home or to interim living & out patient care.That doesn’t mean I wasn’t super glad to get out and go home to my own bed! I am sending positive thoughts for much success and few problems for Ron.

patti

Suzanne,

I was hoping you would post. I was thinking what a blessing it is that you have been there and are able to share the success. Sometimes it provides just the hope folks need. God bless.

Patti

al’s wife
    Participant

Phyllis,
    I was thinking of you and Ron all weekend. I have been exactly where you are right now and know the anxiety and fear you are feeling. I’m praying that all goes well. Please keep us posted.
    Lynn

helenr

Dear Phyllis

Please give our best wishes to Ron. We do hope the treatment is as successful as Suzannes was. Stay positive and strong. Thinking of you and positive thoughts from Helen and David

Engel

Dear Phyllis,
    My husband was dx in Jan.06 with MDS and May 06 with AML, on Friday May 12 we went to the hospital for chemo they started on May 14, and did 6, we are now waiting for the counts to come up. He has a fever every afternoon, how is Ron doing. Keep in touch, Gloria

CarolineG

Dear Phyllis,

All the best to you and Ron. I hope that the clinical trial is successful and that Ron feels better very soon.

Blessings,
    Caroline

PhyllisA

Dear Friends,

Ron made it through the first round of Chemo with what I think were minimal problems, but because everyone is different we didn’t know what to expect…he had some nights that he was very sick, but he has kept a very positive attitude.

He had a bone-marrow biopsy about 2 weeks ago and we were told it was free of leukemia cells…and we thought things were going well. Sunday night he did have a slight fever and they immediately started blood culters and tests. Our bubble was burst yesterday when the doctor said that the blasts were back and they wanted to do another bone-marrow biopsy right away…we haven’t received the results yet, but the doctor indicated yesterday that he would need more chemo.
    So right now we are on pins and needles wondering just what the plan will be this time. Hopefully they will be in tomorrow and tell us.

I’ll keep you posted as soon as I know.

Thanks again to all for your thoughts and prayers.

Phyllis

DarlinGin

Phyllis,

I can’t even imagine how hard this time is for you and your husband. Please know that you are prayed for daily. In the midst of it all I wish you moments of joy, they are there if you keep your eyes open.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert