MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Vidaza Energy level

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Vidaza Energy level

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Judy Vance

I was diagnosed with MDS in July, 2006. After 3 seperate medical opinions, I started Vidaza August 7 through August 13, 2006 with 3 daily injections. My blood counds have overwhelmingly improvied so that I should be able to kick my heels and dance. However, since the injections, I have had NO energy — sleep most of the time, Do any of you know of a source of energy to get me the “quality of life” promised me on vidaza??

Russ

Hi Judy,
    3 daily injections sounds like a lot but the dose of each is critical. Be happy your counts have improved. It took me at least a week to get over Vidaza and you may need a little more time after the injections stop.

KWJ

Energy levels are touch to maintain. You are fighting MDS plus chemo. My dad sleeps a lot. Sometimes 18 hours a day. It is great that your counts are responding.

Try to go easy on yourself. smile

Terri

It takes Bob about a week to bounce back after his week of Vidaza.

SusanJ

Do all of you taking Vidaza seem to think that the tiredness is worth all the trouble? Does the good of Vidaza outweigh the bad?

Susan

gemloyear

Hi all, I don’t think that vidaza alone is the cause of the tiredness. My husband is not on any chemo but he is continuously tired. It seems that is the nature of the disease. As the disease progesses it seems that he sleeps more hours and has less and less energy, even though he is on a good diet and uses protein shakes plus vit. and many supplements. I believe that getting out in the sun and fresh air and as much exercise as tolerated helps with the energy level.
    take care, Ellie

franm

My husband was diog. with MDS in July of 05 and he just went through 3 session of Vidaza. He will be starting his 4 session on the 31st of this month. After his 3rd wound he still felt real tired for at least a week after he stopped. He is still tired, sleeps a lot and if I go shopping he just sits in a chair and waits for me. He eats pretty good and that is good.

So, I think the MDS has everything to do with you being so tired and not getting sleep at night.

Fran

LorettaV

When your counts are low, you are going to be tired. Is you hemoglobin below 10 or 11. When my hg. was down to 9 or 8 I was more fatigued. at 7 or 6 I was a zombie. Vidaza is “killing the bad cells” allowing the good stem cells to grow, and make your blood cells that keep you going. While you are taking the Vidaza shots, you will probably feel more tired. After the 7 days of shots is over, then my energy level comes up. After 3 months of Vidaza, my counts recovered to normal giving me more energy. But I still try to remember to not plan too much during the 7 days of shots. I hope it works for you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert