MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

vidaza for cmml

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board vidaza for cmml

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    greg

Hi, folks. Harold etc: how low did your platelets and rbcs drop after your first vidaza cycle. The good news with my mom is that the monocytes are normal after one cycle (they were accumulating in her lungs). The bad news is that the platelets are down to 10,000 and the rbcs down to 2.7. They’re transfusing both to get them back up before the next cycle. Her blasts have always been normal, unchanged for the past 2.5 years, so this is strictly to get the monocytes under control. Thanks. Greg J

Harold

Hi Greg,
    At the start of the first Vidaza cycle on 10/4/2004, HCT was 37, WBC was 11.9 and Platelets were 38. At the end of the first cycle on 10/13, HCT was 36.9, WBC was 24.6 and Platelets were 35. During the first year of Vidaza treatment, there was not a lot of change in the CBC from the beginning of the Vidaza cycle and the end of the cycle. On 9/19/2005, HCT was 34.5, WBC was 10.2 and Platelets were 20. I began the 13th cycle of Vidaza on 9/19. On 10/10/2005, HCT was 35.9, WBC was 10.5 and Platelets were 16. By 10/28/2005, counts were HCT was 33.5, WBC was 12.2 and Platelets were 36 and I started cycle 14 (2 week delay in starting because of low platelets).
    HCT has slowly drifted downward and is currently (4/21/2006) 25.4 (WBC is 23.2, Platelets 11). I started Aranesp on 1/9/2006 but it doesn’t appear to be helping. Platelets remain low (9-19 range). I began my 18th cycle of Vidaza on 4/24 and will finish up tomorrow. Cycles are now every 6 weeks instead of every 4 weeks in an attempt to give the counts more time to recover. CBC on Friday. I have tolerated the Vidaza well and the low counts have not yet caused any symptoms or problems.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert