MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

weight loss

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board weight loss

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    sarah

Good Morning Everyone,
    My husband continues to lose weight. Starting to get concerned about it.He eats but the appetite is not the same. Would feel better if he could just maintain and not loose any more. Anyone else having this issue?

frank
    Participant

i don’t know it may help you or not, i do lose weight during my Vidaza treatment, just wired on it. I don’t know the reason yet???

it maybe it is a chemo…

Frank

sarah

Thanks Frank, he is not having any chemo or treatments at this time. Hope you are doing well this week.

Terri

Hi Sarah, Sorry to hear Charlie is losing weight, Bob was at a point losing some but nothing drastic that we could be concerned about.

I hope things get better. Keep me posted think of you both so often

Kathryn

Hey Sarah,

my dad has zero appetite, even off of medication. He attributes it to the illness. In the past year he has lost a lot of weight, although last week he had gained a little back…. Though he forces himself to eat, his meals are quite small, so they supplement w/ Ensure, etc.. I have encouraged him to speak w/ the nutritionist at his doctor’s office…. maybe this is something that might help Charlie.

I’m wishing you & Charlie the best.

Kathryn

gemloyear

Hi Sarah, My husband has been losing weight right along. He lost 15 lb. to start with and then has gradually lost 14lb. more over the last few months. His original dx. was itp. & then MDS,& then RAEB, now RCMD. He eats well but not as much as he did before. He could stand to lose a little weight, but not any more. I just hope he does’t lose any more, that would be a bad sign. We wont do anything about it unless he continues to lose. There are nurishing supplements that one can take if need be. there are many good protein supp. or Instant breakfast shakes, also a good instant egg nog. He does’t take any chemo. presently. He is only on blood builders procrit, aranesp, ferrisit, Pednisone, and iron- ferrous sulfate,and multi-vit. He had severe reactions to R. arthritis meds. & pencillan( augementin) in the last few mo.& pneumonia as a result. Now blood clots & cellulitis. I imagine this probaley accounts for some of the weight loss.I don’t know if this helps you,but something to think about. It seems that everything that goes wrong is intensified by the MDS. I hope that things get better for Charlie.

Ellie

Marsha

Sarah,

I am 7 months post BMT, and I have lost lots of weight I wasn’t very big to begin with. I suspect mine has to do with eating: 1-I have GVHD of the mouth it is dry has some sores and thick phlegmy stuff that sticks. Thus, food tastes the same and the only things i can eat lots of are fruit and veggies, cold moist stuff. 2-I really can’t eat alot at one sitting, 1 piece of pizza, 3/4 hamburger, stuff like that so I eat thru out the day pudding, fruit, vegetables, soup, mac/cheese, eggs.3-I don’t have the pleasure of eating, it is more because I have too, then really enjoying it.
    I’m looking alittle anorexic, and my clothes don’t fit. I have tried Ensure/Boost can’t take them alone but add it too things. I can do Instant Breakfast. If you come up with a plan let me know. Thanks
    God Bless
    Marsha

eve

my dad has lost a lot of weight – he is now taking the medication megastrol- he has been on it for 2 weeeks and has gained 1 pound (better than losing) we hope his weight gain continues even if it is slow in coming

eve

riley

My father lost 50 pounds in the first 50 days of his illness (before it was diagnosed as MDS and before he received any treatment). It was the first sign for us that this wasn’t just a stomach virus like Dad’s PCP said. After he received treatment, and he started taking Megace (an appetite stimulant) with breakfast, he’s been able to gain 20 pounds back. Another 15-20 pounds will put him right where he should be. He also drinks Boost Breeze — it’s a juice supplement that he likes better than the plain Boost milkshake-type drink.

doreen

hello.. being in and out of the hospital alot lately, you pick up alot of good information. many of the patients i see are on a medicine to increase their appetite. What Eve mentioned-megastrol- sounds familiar. sounds like its used quite a it here because appetites are such a problem. i cannot stomach boost or ensure but did find that the instant breakfast in a blender with some ice cream is not too bad. i never thought there would be a day that i would need calories!!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert