MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Weight loss post transplant

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Weight loss post transplant

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Julie Erickson
    Participant

Hi I need some help or ideas to get my mom’s appetite back. She recieved a stem cells transplant for MDS in Jan 2018. She has lost 30 pounds and is down to 100 pounds. She has been trying to drink boost as well as eating but it is very difficult and makes her sick. She can’t lose anymore weight. I was wondering if anyone knew of something to boost her appetite back. I was thinking medical marijuana? Don’t know much about but need to get her eating. Any tips would help. Thank you

jennifer clark
    Participant

where do you live? she definitely needs medical marijuana –it will boost her appetite. there is a legal medication that is pure TSH; I was prescribed it for another problem, not sure it boosted appetite. hemp oil is cannabinoid with just CBD so it won’t help.

Julie Erickson
    Participant

Thanks for info. we are in phx, AZ.

Greg Coleman
    Participant

Julie,

I am having my SCT on Wednesday July 18th so I don’t know about post transplant. However, I was very sick last year due to complications from Decitabine treatment and lost 100 lbs. I was able to put significant weight back on by drinking the following shakes. Ensure and other such drinks tasted chaulky and I couldn’t get them down. This shake was delish and easy to drink. I would just check with the Doc to see if it’s ok. The NP in my Doc’s office is the one who suggested it to me. Best of luck!

1 Carnation Instant Breakfast packet (love the strawberry)
    1 scoop Whey Protein (also strawberry or vanilla)
    1 cup of milk
    Blend for 1 minute

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert