MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

What to bring for a Stem Cell Transplant?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board What to bring for a Stem Cell Transplant?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    emily59
    Participant

So, it’s time for my first (let’s say my one and only) Stem Cell Transplant. For those of you who have been through this process or work in the field, could you give some tips on what to bring? Most importantly…can I bring my phone and ipad? 🙂 I’d be so lost since my family and friends will be far away. I’ve seen this list: http://cancer.dartmouth.edu/blood-marrow/what-to-bring-transplant.html . Anything to add, subtract, or emphasis? And, yes. I’m scared to the moon and back. Thanks.

Sherry Pratt
    Participant

Emily, yes you can bring those.. be sure you bring a charger with a long cord. I had mine plugged at the head of my bed and it rested near my pillow at night. If you have an Echo Dot they are very useful while you are in the hospital. Also warm comfortable clothing. A housecoat or robe. If you have more questions send me an email. Pratt8075@aol.com

emily59
    Participant

Thank you! How did you use your Echo Dot? I don’t have one but if it seems handy enough, heck I’m spending retirement funds like there’s no tomorrow….lol.

Sherry Pratt
    Participant

I plugged it into my room. She could tell me the weather, play music, tell me jokes when I felt bad to lighten up the mood. Okay restful sleeping sounds, read me the Bible and books. You can play games with her and my doctors loved her.

Norma DeLong
    Participant

Emily, I don’t have advice on what to bring for the transplant but will tell you the 3 most basic & important things that got me through the transplant were: drink 5 to 8 bottles of water a day, eat, & keep moving, no matter what or how lousy you may feel. Good luck.

I’m also being conditioned for my first SCT. I’m also wondering what to expect. Feeling overwhelmed. I know I should feel lucky instead of fearful.

Sherry Pratt
    Participant

Jennifer, I understand fear. It is normal, but trust God to get you back Through. Try to keep your mind on hope and looking toward to better health. I meditated on things I love when I went through my transplant. Keep moving, eat, and drink lots of fluids! You will get through it. Keep your thoughts on staying healthy. You can email me if you want more details. I am happy to share my experience. Pratt8075@aol.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert