MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

When are red blood counts too low?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board When are red blood counts too low?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    tahoedonner

I have had one infusion of three units of red cells….it took about 5 hours but no bad side affects. How low should one’s red count get before one needs an infusion? I have searched the internet re CBC but can’t find an answer to this question.

I’m feeling fine and after a round of Vidaza my counts are about the same as before it.

eve

i think everyone has a different threshold – my dad gets a tx when he reaches a hgb of 9

eve

Kathy G

My Dad just had his 3rd transfusion last week and he gets one when his hgb hits upper 8’s – he can feel it too. He did 4 rounds of a high dose of Vidaza and the doctor feels it’s helped his counts. He’s now on his 2nd round at a lower dose – started yesterday. No doubt Vidaza does drop his numbers
    Good luck Tahoe.

Kathy

Terri

Tah, Our dr has a cut off of 8 before he tx.
    We have been so lucky Bob has not been in need of one since Dec 03. Got to say those Vitamins and Supplements along with the Vidaza has kept his counts pretty stable and now just trying to keep the darn blast from rising again.

I am sure John in GR will agree as far as the Vits and supps.

Sorry to say but we are still very greatful to our Nutritionist.

Hope Your counts start coming up again so you don’t need the tx

Neil

Much depends upon the patient and his/her individual situation with respect to fatigue. Some can tolerate lower HGB levels. Know of one man who was 57. He knew when he was ready when he was tired when cutting the lawn. He went as low as 5.7. Think this is risky, since conventional thinking tells us there can be serious strain on the heart when below 8.0.
    Also think most insurance companies put pressure on docs not to tx above 8.0.
    I am wiped out when I am in the lower 10s.
    Neil

Kathryn

Hey, my father just was given a couple of units on Sat…. his count was down to 9.1.

Best wishes,

Kathryn

patti

My mother-in-law in having a transfusion this friday. Her Hgb was 7.4 today and her Hematocrit was 22.1. She swears she feels just fine. When she was diagnosed she was 21.7 and had no idea she was sick. She felt good. It’s either all of the vitamins, minerals and juicing she’s doing or she’s a really good liar. Although, I think today she looked terrible (even though she swears she feels fine). We only transfuse out of concern that she’ll get too low and won’t be able to get back. We’ve never been able to transfuse based on how she feels (or she’d never get one). When she hits Hmg of 25 we start talking tx (about 5 wks between).

Patti

frank
    Participant

i always get blood when hgb is under 8.0, personally say, i felt okey even after it dropped below 8.0, yesterday i got the blood which my HGB is already under 7.0(i tried to see if some result from the drug Vidaza). whem i was dignosed last year, my HGB was 5.8. at the low point, i do feel i am easily sweat and short breath, but if you don’t know, you may just think you are getting old. I was diagnosed during my routing check-up, since i have a chornic cough during the year…

Frank

Donna

Mom was always transfused when she was around 9.0
    You could tell when it was starting to drop, she would tire very easily

Donna

covergirl

I am transfused whenever my count is at 8 or below. Last week I was at 8.5. Since my initial journey began with a reading of 5.4, I really don’t feel too bad with the low counts. However, I do feel the difference(better) after the tx. I have more stamina for the long walk down the hospital corridor on my way out of the tranfusion center. My doctors believe my body has just slowly adjusted to the low counts. Will begin my ATG treatment on Monday at MCV and will probably end up getting tx’d during the week.

No sure I will have access to site while in the hospital, but will be sure to update everyone on the ATG experience upon my return.

riley

My father’s doctors transfuse when HCT is 27 or less. My father can tell when his HCT drops below 30 though — he starts to feel tired and he begins asking for a transfusion. So far, they’ve agreed at times when he is really wiped out and his HCT is 28.x, but no higher than that.

Naomi

Tah:
    When I was getting txs, I would get one when I hit anything below 28.9 hct. Some times I felt like I needed a tx sooner. It all depends on your body. My doc told me he treated twins. One needed tx at 29 and the other could function very well at 22. Everyone is different and only you know what your body will take.
    Naomi

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert