MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

why the low pulse all of a sudden?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board why the low pulse all of a sudden?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    patti

My MIL popped up with a large drop in pulse two weeks ago. Forever she has been 74bpm and the past few weeks is running 60bpm. Her doctor said that if her heart was struggling that her heart rate would actually increase and she has no idea why it’s going down. Does anyone know why this could be happening? Is her heart just wearing out? She tanked this week really bad. 20.7 hct and 6.6 hgb. But she says she feels fine. Either she’s a good liar or God is being very gracious. Nonetheless, she’s too low. But I still don’t understand the low pulse rate. Any help?

Thanks

Patti

p.s. transfusing tomorrow (today). doc wanted to give her 3 units and she refused so only getting two. stubborn!!

lindajo

Patti, Don’t get so hung up on the heart rate. Your MIL might be telling the truth, that she does feel fine. Sometimes I feel my worst when my counts are closest to normal. My heart always slows down when my hmg drops but it isn’t a warning sign, I feel like my body is just going into a conserving mode. Kind of like a computer that powers down or when a person is drowning their body powers down to maintain essential functions.

She probably tanked this week because her hmg is so low. If she isn’t doing a lot her heart rate will be lower than if she is active. Her heart rate might go back up as soon as she is transfused.

She how she feels after the transfusion. I know that sometimes I don’t know how bad I feel, until I feel better.

This is hardest on you. You want to help and feel powerless. She has you and room service from the nurses. Just having you there to keep her company is so valuable.
    Hope this helps. Linda

patti

Thanks, Linda. I like your comparison to a computer going in sleep mode. That I can understand! smile I will just take it like you said, as her body conserving. She was transfused today. She says she doesn’t feel any different. I know sometimes she does feel better after a transfusion. Oh well. Onward we go. Thanks again for such a good explanation.

patti

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert