MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Working while on Vidaza?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Working while on Vidaza?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    emily59
    Participant

I’ll be starting my first round of Vidaza soon. I’m in my 50’s and generally healthy…well, other than MDS. I wondered about experiences with working while on this med. It’s a desk job but I need to concentrate and be attentive to conversations. Most importantly, I’d really like to not vomit on anyone.

I know that everyone is different and my reactions will be different. I’m just trying to get a general idea of what to expect. Could you share any experiences which may be relatable? Thank you!

Cecile Huston
    Participant

I have been on vidaza since June, 7 treatments each 28 days cycle, they have me on a steroid to keep me from being nauseated BUT that causes me to be constipated so have to take stool softners every night during treatment, and the worse is not sleeping, while on this 7 days I get 3 hrs sleep at most, last night was only 1 1/2 hrs, maybe not the same for everyone, we are now going to cut my steroid dose in 1/2 and try to get off it, but I do not want to feel nauseated, my Dr. says 50% of the people can do with out the steroid so I am going to try, good luck.

emily59
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. I’m sorry to hear about your side effects. Insomnia is so frustrating. Did they offer you any sleep medication to help? I don’t think I could function on so little sleep.

Cecile Huston
    Participant

I have tried the pm over the counter and not any help, the 1/2 dose of steroid does seem to help, I am going to try to cut it out this Friday, my usual treatment with Vidaza is only about 1 hr and 15 min total, so not a bad deal, I only have tomorrow and Friday for this 7 days and then off for treatment until the 15th so the port and me get a break, LOL, tomorrow though is my long day as I have Vidaza and the clinical trial and that is like a 3 to 3 1/2 hr treatment, I feel blessed to have the chance for treatment and giving me more time, so hope all goes well with you. I am retired so lack of sleep is ok, when I can’t sleep I get up and play gin or something on the computer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert