MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Yearly BMB. Are they needed for low risk MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Yearly BMB. Are they needed for low risk MDS

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    buddy west
    Participant

Recently dia low risk MDS, hem 11, wait and see currently, 73 years old, should I start some type of treatment?

Jimmy Greenhut
    Participant

Buddy, all based on lab work. Your Dr is aware. Be pleased that your #’s are good. I was on watch & wait for a year. Now transfusion dependent still after trying 4 drugs in the past 2 years. I’m low risk too.

Kathie Wolf
    Participant

Hubby was diagnosed in 2017 at age 70. Watch and wait for a year. When his Hemoglobin hit 8 started Procrit. Dramatic response, too good, as risk of deep vein clots goes up when over 10. So stopped. Restarted, developed a superficial clot so started Vidaza in August of 2019. Completed one year with all normal labs. Stopped Vidaza and has been in remission since. All labs continue to stay in normal range. Every persons response to this disease is different. So, for now, enjoy the watch and wait but know there are lots of “tricks in the bag” when you start needing them. Hubby is low risk too. Hasn’t had a BMB since 2019 when he started chemo.

Michael
    Participant

I am low risk and diagnosed in June 2016. I have monthly blood work at local hematologist which thankfully remains stable. I have an annual BMB at a Ctr. Of Excellence and my blast count remains normal. My hgb is typically between 11 and 12.5, my wbc is always low 1.6ish.

My annual BMB is when I see the Dr. who will guide my treatment when it becomes necessary. I would not miss that trip for anything.

Best Wishes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert