MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

18 months since SCT

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board 18 months since SCT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jimbob

It has been 18 months since my SCT and I am still around and getting better and better day by day. Even though I am not yet able to go back to work because I have too many unpredictable not-so-good days it is much better than what was predicted. In February and March, 2003, most of the doctors I had seen told me that not only was there no cure but there was not even a treatment option other than palative and compassionate care. They also predicted that I was not likely to survive more than 11 months. Because of that, I was even able to collect on half of my life insurance!! Well things change, especially with this disease. I encourage all, those who are sick and those who support them, treatment options and survivability statistics are not written in stone. I like the recent additions to the leukemia bracelets: hope, endurance, and courage. Especially with hope many more will be able to endure to allow time for more advancements to occur. We will see many more getting better and better day by day.
    Jim

gemloyear

Jimbob, Right on. You give all of us encouragement and hope. It’s so good to read how well you are doing.We have reason to be optimistic.Thanks so much.
    Ellie

Ensnee

Thanks for those thoughts, Jim. It is especially timely for Hans, our daughter, and me today in light of his blood test today.

Congratulations on your excellent results and continuing health.

Esme

Caroline

Jim,

Congratulations !!! You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your progress report. We all expect to hear many more milestone stories from you.

Keep It Up
    Caroline

Suzanne

Jimbob, So glad things are looking good for you and continuing to improve!

John in GR

Good stuff, Jimbob,

Keep it up. I remember your leukemic event that left you no choice but to opt for the sct. I am very happy it has worked out for you.

John

shirlsgirl

Hi Jimbob,

You really are an inspiration! Congratulations! Wishing you continued improvement and good health. laugh

Jody

Sandy L

It is wonderful to hear good news for a change. Keep up the good work.

diner

Hi Jim Bob, I’m so glad you are doing well. I remember how your encouraged me to get on this forum and I was so scared. Thanks for your encouragement and God bless you.

sdrake

Hi Jimbob,

Best wishes to you. Your good news is inspiring to all of us who are touched by MDS in some way. Thanks for sharing and continued good health.

Terri

JimBob So glad to hear you are doing so well, Yes you give all of us hope and inspiration.

Wishing you continued good health.

Marsha

JimBob,

Congratulations on your health, I am almost 11 months now. l year Nov 19th. I was so scared at first then as more and more information came to me I started to focus on getting well instead of statistics. When lst Dx the oncologist said 2 years and that other than BMT/SCT as the only cure. I look back and notice in just that short year new things have developed and new treatments have been added. Maybe this will be an easy disease to treat one day. I wish you well, and thanks for the encouragement you gave to me in the beginning also. God Bless, Marsha

patti

Jim,

What an exciting thing to celebrate. Congrats on getting through a very difficult time. I pray many more years for you.

best wishes,

patti

Thanks for sharing your encouraging news. Son Chris is looking toward SCT in very near future for AML. Son Tim is perfect match. Chris is having infection setbacks and gets discouraged. Would you consider direct e-mail contact with him? I am NANALLL71@yahoo.com Marie, widow of Walden 9/08/04

Sandy L

We wish Chris a speedy recovery. I do hope the infections clear up soon. What hospital in NJ are you going to? How old is Chris?
    My prayers are with you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert