MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

18 Yr Old Son with MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board 18 Yr Old Son with MDS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ohanatime

18-year old son who has just been disgnosed with Myelodysplastic syndrome. A bone marrow transplant is being recommended. Any information about treatments, doctors, hospitals, etc. would be appreciated. Thank You!

ali_clare
    Participant

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear about your son. I am 26 and my fiance (34) he was diagnosed with MDS (raeb 18%). Both your son and my fiance is so young to have this disease as it is so rare in younger people. My fiance has had his first round of chemo but did not get remission so he is now on his second induction with mylotarg.He is needing a transplant too.

What subtype of MDS does your son have?

Ali

shirlsgirl

Hi,

MDS Centres of excellence….

http://devmdsfound.org.php53-13.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/mds-centers-excellence.htm

Do you know what classifiction of MDS? I’m so sorry that your son is faced with this horrible disease. All I can say is read, read, read. Although it is very important to have an experienced doctor, it is also important to learn everything possible. Research stem cell transplants, cord blood transplants, successes etc…

Wishing you and your son all the best,

Take care,

Jody

lindajo

I am so sorry that your son has join our ranks. The important thing to remember when you hear statistics and predictions for longeviety with this disease are those predictions are based on the average patient that is over 60 at diagnosis.

Someday through the national registry, better numbers might be available but really aren’t now.

I recommend that you also check out the Aplastic Anemia-Myeloydysplastic Foundation website. http://WWW.aplastic.org and the leukemia society website. They also have links to clinical trials and the centers of excellance for MDS.

There are more and more options for patients but first you need to know what type he has. Nutrition is extremely important as is exercise. Be sure and get a nutrionist and a trainer for him to work with, in addition to medical personnel.

We are all here whenever you need us. Good luck

ohanatime

Thank you to all who replied. There is so much to learn about. I do not know what the classification of his MDS. We will need to ask his doctor.

Jimbob

When you try to find the best place for your son to receive treatment, I reccommend that you place great importance on having family and support system close. Without family and support, even the best care can fail. And when the patient realizes that the family is undergoing extreme hardship to be away from home to be with the patient in a center far from home, the concern and a sense of guilt may be too great. Just my most hmble opinion.
    Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert