MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

a bit of good news to report

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board a bit of good news to report

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kristyk

Greetings to all
    I thought I would report on my Mom, who transformed from MDS to AML M4 in early November. She has completed two rounds of decitibine( phase II clinical trial for persons 60+ with AML). At time of AML confirmation on 11-07-05, her wbc was 122,000, platelets dropped to 3 at one point, blasts in blood 59, marrow blast was 30. Hemoglobin had dropped to 4. All throughout the end of nov to mid December she was needing platelets every 3 days to barely maintain 10 or 12( and she was bruising terribly all over, bleeding gums, nose bleeds etc..), and also needing blood every week.
    I’m thrilled to report that her platelets have been steadily on the rise for past 2 weeks and she has not needed a transfusion for 3 weeks, today they are at 100!! Her wbc down to 12!!! hemoglobin still hovers in the mid 8’s but are holding on their own. Blasts in blood as of last week were down to 12%!! Best of all, the decitibine does not seem to have any side effects at all for her…Last week she had chemo each morning, and after each treatment she felt great..one day minutes after treatment we dashed into an art exhibit on the way home she wanted to see and she did great. She got out on her own this week to run errands and do some shopping, right after treatments!..something she has not felt up to since early november when things took the dive into aml.
    Of course we won’t really know if the decitibine is working clinically until her next bmb which is scheduled for Jan 9th. We are hopeful though and regardless of the numbers are thrilled that TODAY she feels in her words ” almost normal”!! We will take it!
    Yea!
    Kristy

sugarwhale

Dear Kristy,
    That’s wonderful news! It’s about time we’re getting good news from each other. I just learned where Revlimid is now approved, too. Oh, maybe your mom can’t get it YET. However, there is hope for the future for all of us now. What a nice Holiday you and your mom must be having now! Best wishes to both of you. Keep us posted!
    ~~~ Janet

Suzanne

What great news. I know you will enjoy celebrating the New Year! As I have said before, a 25%-30% rate of success may seem low but somone gets to be part of that %. No side effects is also a wonderful benefit.

shirlsgirl

Yay Kristy! That’s great news!

Best wishes to you and your Mom for a very happy, healthy New Year! smile

Jody

gemloyear

Kristy, Wonderful news!It’s so encouraging to know that someone is having sucessful results with their treatment.Praying that she has a complete remission and a healthy new year.
    Happy New Year to you and Mom
    Ellie

riley

Kristy, that’s great news! Thanks for sharing with all of us. It lifts my spirits to hear when others are doing well. I hope 2006 brings all good things for you and your mother!

Nicole

Terri

Great News Kristy, Our Hemotol office is doing a Clinical trial on Dectibine however doc seems ok with BOb on the Vidaza even though we don’t think it is doing as well as it was.
    His hgb stays at mid 8’s where they used to be 11 and plts in the 40’s and before up to 70s
    I hope your Mom continues with such great news

Ani

Great news Kristy, may things go from strength to strength. It sure is good to read upliftung news. Who else has good news for us…report in here AT ONCE!!!
    Shalom
    Ani

marylinda

Really great to hear some good news. So happy that she got to enjoy her time at the art museum.
    Happy New Year

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert