MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

A Dark Day in Our Life

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board A Dark Day in Our Life

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SandyB

Mike and I went to our Dr. today and found out that they finally have a confirmed diagnosis for him.

We had been undergoing MDS testing (Blood Counts and BMB’s since Aug. 1, 2005). We had been told up until today that he probably had about a 7-10% blast count. (None of the 5 BMB was clear enough to tell for sure.)

Today we were told that he has 27% Blasts and is now into AML without any previous suspicion this would happen.

We now are considering either a clinical trial, or Chemo and treatment.

What clinical trials have been successful for any of your loved ones with AML?

Please forgive me for rambling, but devastation, as you all know, does that to you.

(P.S. Mike and I have now been responsible to more than 400 people sending letters to Congress in support of H Con R 179. Please email me at SBarbor@comcast.net to join our effort on behalf of all of us.)

Suzanne

Guess I am wonderiong why you aren’t considering heavy chemo-induction and consolidation- to try to get him into remission. I haven’t kept up with everything recently but I was under the impression most of the trials were for the disease prior to moving into AML. The only one I know of for AML is Zarnestra in place of chemo for patients that are usually older then Mike and for one health reason or another can’t deal with the chemo regimen.

CarolineG

Sandy,

I cannot be of any help with clinical trials.

I will keep you and Mike in my prayers. I hope that you will find a treatment that helps Mike to get well.

Blessings,
    Caroline

patti

Sandy,

I’m sorry to hear the news about Mike. However, I’m reminding of what Suzanne said in a previous post. The best thing happened to her after AML because she was able to get treatments she otherwise would not have been eligable for. Hoping Mike can get into something like what Suzanne did. It seems so promising. Still, I would encourage you to take care of his body naturally if he’s going to do any chemo.

Take care. We’re all here for you.

patti

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert