MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

A Kind Of Magic

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board A Kind Of Magic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    andrzej g.

Firstly let me greet all of my forum friends.
    Respect.

It’s been a long time since my last note on the forum.
    A long time of anxieties and hopes, restless thoughts and days passing one after another.
    Things were going well, at least we persistently wanted them to look that way.
    We managed to believe even that the fight might be over.
    There were days of refief. Days of forgetting.
    I was kind of being afraid that visiting the forum and sharing with you some good news might turn things over…

As some of you remember my father was diagnosed 01/2005 with raeb-2, however his peripheral blood morphology had gradually deterred back since ca 08/2004.
    He had low ANCs with his granulocytes ca 400, slightly elevated MCVs with Hb round 12 g/dl and normal PLTs.
    03/2005 he progressed to MDS-AML with 27% of blasts in the marrow and granulocytes at the level of 200.
    24/03/2005 he was introduced to induction chemo “3+7” daunorubicin + ara-c.
    He did not achieve remission, though it was possible to reduce his blasts to 9-10%.
    His granulocytes did not climb but did react to filgrastim (G-CSF) injections with rapid bursts.
    He was qualified to RIC PBSCT. His donor was his sister. The procedure took place between 6th and 8th of July.
    In the third decade of August he was released from the hospital.
    He was slowly coming back to his excellent form, though the chemotherapy considerably left its footmarks on his biological age.
    His blood went back to normal or whatever we could assess as close to normal.
    He has been suffering from persistent cough as he was having benign infections of his upper airways. Those infections did not bother him, though.

Two to three weeks ago his PLTs have began to fall down.
    Now they reach the values of 50-60k when counted by machine and 80k when counted manually.

According to A.Ho et al. high risk mds/aml-mds patients undergoing RIC PBSCT with regimens using alemtuzumab, busulphan and fludarabine are at >60% relapse risk.
    The statistical term “median” places relapse statistically at ca 210 post transplant day.

We are going to go to the Clinic for bmb on Wednesday.
    Under the skin we feel however, the relapse has approached.
    Scary. After all of this…

Terri

I am sorry to hear your dad is relapsing, Prayers will continue and I hope Wednesdays results are good.
    I agree this disease is so scary.
    Peace

Kathy G

It was nice to see your post – my Dad liked reading your posts back when you were on the board more – we talked about your postings he was impressed with your knowledge.
    I will pray that your Dad has not relapsed – his platelet number still looks good – my Dad’s would get down to 10K.
    Please keep us posted.

Kathy G

geebeebee

Andrzej,

I am both elated to see that your Dad was doing so well, and also concerned over the developments. I remember it is sometimes normal for SCT patients to have erratic numbers from time to time…here’s hoping that’s just the case.

Please keep in touch and I’ll be rooting for your Dad.

Greg

shirlsgirl

Hi Andrzej,

Will be thinking of you and your Dad today, wishing him positive results…sending positive vibes.

It’s so great to see you posting again, you bring a wealth of knowledge to this board.

Please let us know how things go today when you are able.

Take care,

Jody

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert