MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Age at Diagnosis?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Age at Diagnosis?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    NL_girl

I’m just wondering – what age have most people been diagnosed?

covergirl

I was 46 when diagnosed last year.

camiboxer

My dad was DX’ed this year at age 66. His numbers had been off for at minimum a year so we suspect he has had it longer.

Caroline

My Dad was diagnosed with MDS when he was 76.

He was diagnosed with CMML when he was 79.

Caroline

sdrake

My Dad was diagnosed at age 66. Dad has been anemic off and on for quite some time, so we too suspect something has been going on for a while.

Shari

Naomi

I was diagnosed Sept 2000 at age 66. I had symptoms earlier, but thought it was just getting older. Little did I know. I had a tendency to be anemic through out my earlier life.
    Naomi

Caroline

NL_Girl.

One other thing that I forgot to mention. Dad was dignosed with MDS 4 years ago. He went to see his doctor initially because he had a cold for 6 months which would not go away. One thing led to another and he wound up at an Oncologist and a diagnosis of MDS. He was told that he could have had MDS for up to 20 years and never had any symptoms except anemia for which he has always taken iron pills. He lived a full and “healthy” life for the past many years and very likely already had the disease.

Caroline

Frankie

I was 52…I think…but had been anemic for a long time.

Frankie

shirlsgirl

Mom was 59 or 60? The initial diagnosis was ITP, then possible early CMML and ITP. A couple of years later and 3 bmb’s later she is now MDS. (w/o further classification) Mom’s monocytes were never elevated beyond 1 x 10 9 so they ruled out the CMML.

patti

My MIL was dx when she was 74. She’s 76 now.

lbeachbum2

I was dX when I was 48 ……….. Secondary due to chemo and stem cell Transplant …….

hmblume

I believe there are a small number with leukemia or MDS newly diagnosed at any age, but around 65 the numbers grow rapidly. I was diagnosed with ITP about age 65 and with CMML age 72. CMML has not been a part of MDS in Europe for some time and recently in the US it became MPD or MDS/MPD.
    As I read the ITP support group (USA, UK has a different one) website, it seems to me that there is an overlap with CMML and ITP. I also suspect that many have not seen a hematologist, more have not had a bone marrow biopsy, so even more overlap in diagnosis and symptoms may be possible.

Marsha

DX at 50 with MDS/MPD sub classified as CMML. Had a BMT 11/04 doing well. Marsha

Jimbob

DX at age 53, SCT 1 year later.

franm

My husband Jim was diagnosis with MDS over a year ago but didn’t start Vidaza until 5 months ago. He just had a BMB again last Thursday and we won’t get the results of that until the 31st of this month. The last BMB he had was really bad. It took him into AML. So, we wait and see. Hope a Pray that this one is not as bad.

Fran

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert