MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Amicar

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tahoedonner

Does anyone have experience with the drug “Amicar”. It is used to counter (in theory) the adverse effects of very low platelet counts (i.e. internal bleeding) so as to render transfusions worthwhile.

Hi Tah. My mum was given this drug under the name tranexamic acid in the latter stages of her illness. This was in fact the only treatment other than tx that she was offered. I don’t know that it did any good to be honest, she would bleed from her skin copiously even with the drug. May have been worse without it though.

Sally

patti

Tahoe,

I asked mom’s doctor today about this drug. She was going to check into for me. Mom has very low platelets so this would be a good drug for her, if it works. I’ll let you know what I find out.

patti

Jimbob

Tahoe,
    this link might help.
    http://www.drugdigest.com/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,6018|Amicar,00.html
    Jim

Neil

I asked my doc about Amicar a few years ago. I wanted it to have in the event of a bleeding episode. He refused to give me a prescription. His feeling wast here was too great of a risk for excessive or abnormal clotting.
    I keep a couple boxes of Urgent QR and Nosebleed QR on hand in the event of a bleed till I can get to an emergency room.
    Another thought— I always have a copy of my most recent BMB and CBC results in the glove compartment of our autos. Might save some time in the event of a trauma.
    Neil

dusty

Betty started been taking Hydroxyurea to help get her white counts down. But the first week her platelets dropped to 7K. So she was transfused with platelets and given Amnicar (Aminocaproic Acid.) The risk for clotting Neil spoke of is real, and she has had a history of pulmonary emboli – but that episode was associated with high platelet levels.

Good Luck

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert