MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Amifostine

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Amifostine

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    KristyS

Hello! It has been a while since I posted. I am sorry for the bad news that plagues this forum. My 14 year old daughter has MDS. Primary MDS if you can believe it !! Transfusion dependent every 18 days like clockwork. Tried Dacluzimab – didn’t work. Next step is Amifostine. Does anyone have experience with this? Any information would be greatly appreciated. So far no good donor has been found for her.

Suzanne

Kristy, What classification of MDS does she have?If you have told us before I have forgotten. I am not familiar with the drugs you mention. Maybe someone else on the forum is. I am sure you will get answers from more knowledgable people on that score. If you are in Houston you have MD Anderson-a well known center of excellence for MDS. Hope she is being treated there. I have always heard that tho it is rare in young people, they do have a much better chance for a cure. Are they looking internationally for a match?

txnmomma

I have heard Amifostine works pretty good. My dad’s hemo considered it. My dad is on Procrit and will be on Vidaza soon.

Being in Houston, likle Suzanne there is a COE at MD Anderson.

University of Texas
    MD Anderson Cancer Center
    Houston, Texas
    Elihu H. Estey, MD

What is her classification of MDS? what other ways are they treating your daughter?

I know many patients are on Thalidomide, also.

Best of luck!

KristyS

She has MDS RA or RAEB. Believe it or not the pathologists at MD Anderson cannot agree on this one. One biopsy said RA, the next RAEB then the same pathologist who did RA looked at it and said it is the same. I guess depends how they categorize the blast cells. Apparently with staining, they can detect things that are not easily apparent, but the percentage can be calculated a number of different ways. For example, as a percentage of non myeloid cells or percentage of total cells. Blah blah blah. We tried a round of Dacluzimab and so far have not seen results. Wendy – thanks for the info. I would like to try thalidomide next. She has no good match found yet, but they are still looking.

Neil

Hi Kristy,
    I was on Amifostine fo 90 days in 1999, along with 5 other patients. Took Pentoxifiline and Ciproflaxin with the Amifostine
    None of us responded.
    Am aware of only 1 patient who responded after taking it for something like 2 years at 1/9 the normal dosage.
    Side effects were minimal when taken with Kytryl and Compazine. do not believe there are any more trials using it since the overall response was so poor.

txnmomma
    Quote:
    Wendy – thanks for the info. I would like to try thalidomide next.

My dad was on Thalidomide for approx 3 months and his counts were going up. His RBC’s were looking better and also the WBC’s. They were going up!! BUt sad thing was.. the side effects were too much for him. He was hospitalized over Thanksgiving [2004] for side effects. They were bad!

At the same time, many many patiens respond well to Thalidomide. Maybe this is the route to take!!

I hope it all works out for you daughter!! *hugs*

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert