MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

anti-body for blood transfusion…

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board anti-body for blood transfusion…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    frank
    Participant

I don’t know anyone experience this or not. It start 3 months ago, and my blood type crossing always took looger time to find the right blood for me, because the antibody.

I asked my doc, who told me that the antibody may go worse in the future. i don’t know someone have the same experience?

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Frank,
    I am by no means an expert on this, but I believe that you can "develop" antibodies because of the blood you receive in the transfusions. I am not sure if you "get" it from the blood or if it is a reaction to the blood you receive.

Anyone out there that can help us with?

Mary

debj

I’m a lab tech so I can answer your question. Most people know that you have to match the blood based on the type (A,O,B,AB) and the RH factor. But there are many, many other antibodies in our blood that aren’t specifically screened as most people are positive for them. If you are negative for one of these and get blood that is positive, then you will develope an antibody to that specific one. You will need to get blood in the future that is negative for that antibody so you don’t have a reaction to the transfusion. That takes longer to find blood that is negative. I hope this helps you.
    Deb

Zoe

Deb,

If the blood is irradiated, does that prevent this problem from happening?

Zoe

LynnI
    Participant

To my knowledge all the blood that I had received was irradiated and filtered and after my thrid transfusion antibodies (E for sure and I think more but can’t remember which ones) kicked in. And it takes them several days to find me a match when I was getting tx.

DarlinGin

Frank,

My husband gets several units of red cells every week and had become known to staff as "Mr Antibody" LOL They even had to use double the blood samples to test for all his antibodies. It’s odd but sometimes they go away as well. Irradiated blood according to his nurses actually helps reduce the likelihood of developing antibodies.

Virginia

frank
    Participant

thanks everyone, it seems is what you guys said, and my doc said the same words. it may go away later or harder to find blood.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert