MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Any one being treated at U of Penn; Philly?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Any one being treated at U of Penn; Philly?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cherylm

Hi,

My dad has been being treated at the local Fox Chase Center here in the Wilkes Barre Scranton area of PA. As you may have read on my other posts, he did 5 rounds of Vidaza + MS 275. He had a bmb last week and the results show the treatment did nothing. His blast count went up from 3% to 13%. His Onc suggested we seek treatment elsewhere since they have no other treatment at their facility to offer right now. She also suggested we get an appointment asap. She didn’t offer to reach out on our behalf but rather placed it on us. Well, that’s fine. I called the Universtiy of Penn Cancer Center this morning to try to get an appointment with Selina Luger, MD. I was wondering if anyone has been or is being treated there who can offer words of wisdom. Any info would be appreaciated. Thanks as always, folks…you are really the best!
    Cheryl Mirro

jaxem

cheryl
    my wife goes to the fox chase bone marrow clinic in philadelphia. my recommendation is to get a 2nd opinion from a hematologist especially if you’ve only been seeing an oncologist? in the beginning of her dx, we saw selina luger at Penn Abramson who is the Director of their program. we also attended a symposium where she was a speaker there. very able lady and i was impressed with her. my wife’s hematologist at Fox Chase is a hematologist who is very upbeat and optomistic which has meant a lot to us. how old is your dad & what’s his diagnosis?

moyeral

Hi Cheryl-

My grandmother has been treated by Dr. Lugar for about 4 years now. I think she has chosen the correct path for my grandmother’s illness. Two pearl of wisdom, be prepared with your questions because they are not very forthcoming with the information and be prepared to wait to see her. I am not sure what your exprience was in Wilkes Barre, but we have waited in that office for hours, so definitely bring a book!
    Hope everything works out and let me know if you have any specific questions.

cherylm

Jaxem,

Dad is 70 and his current onc is not upbeat at all. I think sometimes she gets my dad more depressed than the actual mds! I spoke to her recently,after my dad’s last visit when she told him she had no further treatment options for him. I asked why she didn’t even consider trying dacogen and her answer was it’s the same as vidaza and if that didn’t work neither would the dacogen. I told her I begged to differ, but she would have nothing to do with all I’ve read. I get so fed up sometimes!!! Hey, I read about your wife on a seperate post and wish you the very very best!! Cheryl

jaxem

cheryl
    thanks for the kind words. all the luck in the world to your dad in getting him the best treatment possible. seeing dr luger would be a good move. it’s only a 2 hour drive down the ne ext. which i would do in a heartbeat if you’re not getting good treatment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert