MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Anyone have side effects from Procrit?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Anyone have side effects from Procrit?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    txnmomma

My dad is on Procrit and has been for a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone had side effects from it and what they were?

He seems to be responding to the Procrit pretty good. He says he feels better and isnt SO tired like before.

Right now, tho, he is really sick. I hope he gets better!

Neil

Have been on Procrit for 17 months. No side effects.
    Just higher RBC/HGB and more energy
    Have read that some people may develop a fever and may have pain/irritation at the injection site.
    You might wish to type Procrit into a search engine and see what they list or call their customer service number to find out what info they can provide.
    In any event his doc should be advised. He/she may have some thoughts

JulieMarie

Wendy,

My mom has been on Procrit since last fall. She tends to have a little bit of an upset stomach for the first day or two after the shot. But has been responding after an increase in the doseage after a month or two of being on it.

Wishing you and your father the best!

txnmomma

How many units are you taking, Neil and as well, your mom Julie?

I believe my dad is on 20,000 and I wanna say he was increased to 40,000. That sticks in my mind.

My dad has pain around the injection site, which is his stomach. Just for about a day..

He gets a little nauseated with it. Nothing major and the nausea is tolerable with Reglan. I thought about mentioning to him Zofran for the nausea.

I need to see what the latest RBc’s as of last week.

TY for the input!

Neil

Hi Wendy,
    Am on 20,000 units evrey other week.
    How about Compazine for nausea. It comes in a generic form. Zofran is pretty spendy.

Terri

Bob is on 60000 units. His Reds are normal and the Hgb is maintaining in the 10’s no side effects except some bruising where he gets the shots and that ususally depends on which nurse gives it.
    Bob is on Zofran ODT, the type that dissolves in your mouth. This way no chance of Up chucking it but the only time he gets the nausea is during the vidaza. the Zofran IS VERY PRICY TO SAY THE LEAST. At least we have insurance, Check with your Hemo office, I know ours gives them out to patients that do not have insurance for Prescriptions.

txnmomma

I didnt know about Compazine, Neil! Thank you. I will mention it to him and get him to ask his hemo.

I remember now.. Zofran was a bit pricey! I used it when I was preg with my son.

How long can Procrit be taken? indefinitely as long as RCB’s are going up. I assume hemo’s look at RCB’s and Hgb’s?

txnmomma

It seems alot of people are responding to Procrit…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert