MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Anyone on Tricare Insurance

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Anyone on Tricare Insurance

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JaneP

I just found out that my cousin being on Tricare (retired military) is being told that in order to do his bone marrow he will need to pay out $400,000 otherwise he will have to go to a army hospital where he will not get the care needed.

He has said that if that is so then he will no go through with the BMT. Any help is appreciated.

Jane P.

jas174

That is a shameful way to treat our Veterans. My husband is retired military and soon after he was diagnosed with MDS, we had a consult with the Veterans hospital. The Dr. was wonderful, very informative and honest. He said the treatment being given (Vidaza) at that time was better than what they could offer there and to stay with the current Ocnology clinic. I had Blue Cross and kept it at retirement. it has been wonderful, nothing denied. My suggestion would be to call your Congressman or Stare Rep. and raise hell. If no help there, there is always the newspapers. I would do it if I had to. He does not need to be denied the care he needs…there are ways! Just don’t take no for an answer. All the best to you and cousin. Go for it! Husband 61,MDS 9/06. Vidaza worked for 6 months, then dacogen, danazol, revlimid etc. no response. now, RAEB2 + WAITING, WAITING.

JaneP

I am trying to find all all of the info I can on the VA hospitals. Hopefully I will find one that can do the BMT and will be able to provide the care needed. I always thought if a VA hospital could not treat you then they would refer you to someone else but I never thought that would cost 400K. I too am on Tricare since my husband is retired military. This is scary.

Thanks for the response.

Jane

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert