MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

ARA-C Treatment

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board ARA-C Treatment

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lucym

We got news on Tuesday my Mom had progressed to AML. BMB last week showed 32% blasts in the marrow up from 3% just a month ago. She was addmitted to hospital yesterday and tonight at 7pm they started her 1st ever chemo treatment of ARA-C. She will do 5 of these and 1 of mitoxantrone. Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as side effects and time frame of count turn around. Today WBC 3.1, RBC 9.3 and Plt 2.
    Another issue is her PIC line only 1 of the two lines are working and the one that is working is not doing very well. They will not replace the PIC until plt come up but with the Chemo going in I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Those of you with a PIC line how often do you flush it? Anyone got any ideas on how to open up a plugged PIC line.
    Thanks for all being there.
    Lucy

lynette

Lucy,
    My mom was on ARA-C. the side effects are different depending on the route of administration. The injection tends to have less side effects than the IV infusion. Usual side effects include nausea, fatigue, and drop in all counts. There is usually no hair loss from ARA-C.
    Regarding the PICC line. One port is enough to administer meds. However, things may go more slowly if she has to receive several meds since they have to now be given one at a time.
    Policies for flushing will vary from hospital to hospital. Also, there are certain types of PICC lines that need to be flushed only with Saline. They should be flushed minimally, after each use and once a shift(12hrs). There are ways to de-clot a PICC line. However, methods include using an anticoagulant and this may not be a choice for your mom if her counts(plts.) are very low.
    Good Luck and hang in there,
    Lynette

PhyllisA

Dear LucyM,

My husband was just diagnosed 4/24 with AML. He is on a clinical trial called Pharmacokinetics…which is a combination of Amonafide and Cytarabine (Ara-C). He just completed his first round yesterday 5/5. He had 3 nights that he was very sick, but seems better the last few days. However, the doctor told him that usually about 10 days after the beginning of chemo treatments would be when he would probably not feel very well and to expect to lose his hair. BUT he also said all patients are different with their reaction to the drugs…a young woman a few doors down who came from the same area as my husband grew up breezed through the first 30 days, but unfortunately a few months later is back. I don’t believe she was on the trial my husband is…but had undergone Chemo treatments.
    So I am hoping that next week won’t be as bad as it might be.
    I am so amazed that he has maintained such a positive outlook on all of this…but he didn’t have a choice really…he had to have treatment right away.

Good luck,
    PhyllisA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert