MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

aranesp, tx, iron

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board aranesp, tx, iron

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bety

Once on tx and aranesp, should one stop iron supplements? bety

patti

Bety,

Transfusions will cause one to load up on iron but I also believe that EPO shots (aranesp/procrit) require a proper amount of iron to work. So ultimately, this is probably a question for the doctor.

If your husband becomes transfusion dependent make sure you watch his iron level. It’s been generally said on this forum that damage from iron overload takes ten years but that number is really dependent on a person’s age. Children and adults over 60 are much more sensitive to iron damage. We found out the hard way by letting mom’s iron go and she now has liver and kidney damage as a result. So I would just be aware of it and when it hits 1000 talk to the doctor about what your husband should do.

Patti

bety

Patti, Thanks. I very much appreciate your input.
    bety

————–
    husband,86, RARS dx July, 03. aranesp every two weeks not working. Started iron supplements again. Iron and ferritin levels are not elevated. Had his first tx last week (2 units packed rbc). Neupogen prn. Last hgb 7.3 Considering the low counts, he feels well…just dozes a bit during the day.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert