MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

aranesp vs procrit

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board aranesp vs procrit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bety

Most of you seem to be on procrit. Do your doctors prefer it to aranesp?

Rackon

My dad did better on Aranesp.

He had Aranesp injections every 3-6 weeks for almost 4 years and remained TX free during that time.

People here actually take both.

Jim

My doc stated me out on Aranesp. Says it lasts longer than Procrit.

JW

Neil

I was on Procrit for 32 months.
    My doc switched me to Aranesp yesterday.
    Will see how my counts respond over the next 2 weeks. Feel he will boost my dosage a bit and stretch the interval beetween shots to 3 weeks.
    Will have much more info after 7/12.
    Also think he has other pts on Aranesp who are doing well. Dosage appears to be an important factor. Too little provides little response. The correct amount provides a good boost in red counts.

bety

Dear Neil, I hope you do well on arenesp. My husband responded for close to 3 years but after getting neupogen and antibiotics, his counts dropped precipitously. Initially, he was on 200mcg and it was raised after a couple of years to 300. Aranesp is much more convenient because it requires fewer visits. At first he went every 3 weeks, then recently it has been q2w. He will probably get his first tx in a few days.
    All the best, Bety
    ……………
    age 86 dx 7/03 RARS RBC 7, WBC .9, PLTS 98

CarolineG

Bety,

My Dad was on Procrit (the name is Eprex here in Canada) shots weekly for a few months. It kept his hemoglobin steady at 10.0 (100 in Canada). Dad’s Nephrologist changed him over to Aranesp in the winter. It helps the kidneys as well as the hemoglobin and Dad has Kidney Failure so the Kidney Doctor thought it was a better suited drug for him. After 4 needles his hemoglobin shot up to 150 and we had to stop the shots for 3 months. When the hemoglobin fell back down to 125 we started the Aranesp shots again weekly only this time we gave him 80 iu instead of 150 iu. After 4 shots Dad’s hemoglobin went up to 142 again so now I have been told not to give Dad anymore needles until his counts drop to 120-125 again. He has blood tests taken every 4 weeks and they phone me with the results. Dad has only had one transfusion since last August. He has not had any transfusions since he started erythropoietin shots of any kind. The Aranesp certainly has a better effect on him whereas the Eprex only kept Dad’s hemoglobin at a constant level.

Best wishes.
    Caroline

bety

Caroline,
    I am so happy to hear that your dad is doing so well on aranesp. Initially, my husband was getting 200 mcg every 3 weeks for about 2 years. After that, it was raised to 300. His counts dropped precipitously following a 4 week trial with combined aranesp and neupogen. It dropped further following a couple of weeks of antibiotics. Hopefully, once the drugs get out of his system, he will respond again to the aranesp. Incidentally, pharmaceudical company warns that the hgb should not go above 12 because of the danger of blood clots.
    All the best, Bety

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert