MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Back from Induction Chemo…

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Back from Induction Chemo…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PupsRule

…about 2 weeks ago. Spent 37 days at Stanford, undergoing the high-dose regimen, and then developed complications from a fungal infection in the sinus and eye. Have diminished capacity in my right eye and am on IV brews at home until the fungus is under control. The chemo brought me into partial remission (5% blasts), but we can’t proceed down chemo-therapy road until/unless the fungus is cleared up. Am told that the fungus also likely rules out my candidacy for a BMT.

Feeling all right in spite of what could be viewed as a setback, and need to find a sassy pirate-girl name to match my eye patches!

Jo L.

Judith –
    Sorry to hear about your setback – hope it clears up soon. As for the name – How about "Zola the Wild Wench"? You realize now you have to say "Arrrgh!" in every sentence, don’t you?

Jo

Jeanette B

Hi Judith,
    You don’t have to reply to my transplant question on the the othet topic, as I have found you here and have my answer. Leave the pirate name with me, I’m usually pretty good with those things.

Jeanette

jaxem

Judith
    Am shocked at hearing that you are not a candidate for anything because you have a fungus. When your whites are low, here comes the fungus. I know so many patients with a fungus going into a BMT.

How about "BITCHIE" for a sassy name?? You tell that cancer where you’re comin’ from, girl!!

PupsRule

So much to learn. Jack, I’ll query the docs more about the "have fungus/no bmt" issue.

This past week underwent another bmb plus an MRI (to determine fungal status) and a biopsy on a swollen lymph node which appeared 4 weeks into my hospital stay. Back in a waiting pattern, which isn’t all that bad. Meanwhile, my sisters-in-law from Seattle and most excellent husband Jim are doing a fantastic job taking care of me, our pups, and the household. Bless our families and support systems!

jaxem

JUDITH
    I assume they did a biopsy when they did an mri of your lungs. I know it’s a hit-or miss when they take the biopsy but they’re pretty good at it. any results yet from the lung biopsy or bmb?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert