MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Back To The Forum

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Back To The Forum

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    andrzej g.

Welcome…
    Those past weeks of my absence were filled with patient waiting for the outcome of my Dad’s induction of remission.
    He’s been put on “3+7” regimen to reduce his 27% of blasts in the marrow. The induction took place between 25 and 31 March. Then he spent additonal 4 weeks at the hospital ward before returning home. His course was complicated by persisting neutropenic fever <38.5oC and treated with wide range antibiotics and antifungal agent - amfotericine. Additionally he had some haemorrhagic rash, most of all affecting his lower limbs. For a few days he also complained of diarrhoea.
    He’s been given platelets and red cells.
    I got today his BMB – blasts went down to ca 10% which unfortunately is not satisfactory. There are still morphologic features of dysplasia in the slides. His PLT are perfect, at 216K, but RBC are lowering, Hb is at 9.4 at the moment.
    For today his lymphocytes are at 2000, monocytes 200, granulocytes at 600. When the granulocytes fall down, I inject my Dad subcutaneously with filgrastim – Neupogen, 48mln – to raise their level for a few days, so that last Friday he had 4000 granulocytes.
    Transplant proceedings are discussed.
    Not satisfactory outcome of induction chemo does not however raise much hope… frown
    I’ll keep you informed.
    For the time being I’ve got a lot to read at the Forum. I have been absent too long.

Terri

Hope all goes well for your dad, Continued prayers

shirlsgirl

Hi Andrzej,

I’m sorry about your Dad. Are there any other options of treatment to get the blasts down? How is he feeling?

Nice to have you back…..

Thinking of you and your Dad,

Jody

geebeebee

Andrzej, wishing for the best for your dad. Hope good news comes very soon.

Greg

Suzanne

Andrzej, So sorry that you did not have a better outcome from the induction chemo. Are you considering a second round of chemo to see if he can get a better result?

andrzej g.

Jody, Greg, Suzanne,
    The options are either a 2nd round of induction chemo with the following Reduced Intensity Conditioning and HSCT or RIC / HSCT without induction. It hasn’t been decided yet. Decision tommorrow, I guess…

geebeebee

Andrzej, I’m glad that the SCT is still in the picture. Continued best of wishes for your Dad.

Greg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert