MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Be an aggressive patient

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Be an aggressive patient

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dick

I was dx with MDS in Dec of 2002 and have now had 27 transfusions so my iron count got up to 3780.

Started desferal several months ago first with transfusions, then shots in the office, and finaly by home infusion. To the uninitiated, this means you have a small pump powered by batteries to which is attached a resevoir (called an cassette) which is filled with desferal. The pump is attached to a tube at the end of which is a small needle . . . about 1/2 inch . . . which you stick in your stomach and attach a special patch. You do this every nite for 5 days per week and it’s in for 8 hours while you sleep. It’s a pain in the fanny but it has brought my iron count down 800 points so far. Stlll a pain in the fanny

The Doctor decided to increase my dosage on desferal from 2 grams to 3 grams per nite and his nurse faxed the new RX to the Pharmacist but omitted the ‘8 hours per day’in the order . . . an error of omission . . . which I can forgive cause I like her.

So this would have meant that I would have had a needle sticking in my stomach for 5 days, 24 hours per day. The Pharmacist failed to question this . . . in fact he added the 24 hours to the order and sent me the perscription with included necessary supplies.

It must have been the prednisone I’m taking that kept me awke that night . . . or maybe it was the hand of God, but I did check the orders and the prescription and just happened to notice the errors. The next day I called the Pharmacist and asked :
    1. Did you think to question the order?
    2. Have you ever filled such an order for desferal before?
    3. How was I to know to change the settings on my pump. (In fact I learned I can’t and this must be done by a tech.

To all questions I thought I got evasive answers and attitude but no admission of an error. “I have the Doctors orders”

So my message is this: We have to be aggressive patients and do a lot of questioning.

You cannot make assumptions that mistakes are not made and that all checks and balances are in place. We are in charge of our lives and cannot not turn that over to even well intentioned medical professionals even on any trust level.

All is well. Nor harm done. Home infusion treatments progress.

And I pray for an early approval of Exjade.

Dick

Kathryn

Dick, I whole heartedly agree. You just can’t assume. I think we all have that built in “gut” feeling that, especially when you are the patient, you need to listen to. Better safe than sorry…..

I am glad your situation turned out ok. A learning experience I suppose. Thanks for sharing.

Wishing you the best.

Kathryn

shirlsgirl

Dick,

I couldn’t agree with you more! It’s so important to ask questions and to get as much information as possible. We all make mistakes …. even Doctor’s and pharmacists and other medical professionals. So, by double checking everything and asking questions we can possibly avoid some errors.

I’m so glad everything turned out okay with your situation. To think, if you hadn’t persisted with the pharmacist what could have happened …really scary. Thank goodness everything turned out okay.

Thank you for the reminder. smile

Jody

ps. wow, that’s a real pain in the butt alright that you go through with the desferal. Thank goodness it’s helping smile

Ensnee

Dick, you are so right. Somehow while Hans was in the hospital with his first round of chemo, they let him retain 20 lbs of extra fluid, even while carefully measuring his fluid intake and outake, before giving him a diuretic. His legs became extremely swollen. They didn’t seem concerned because his lungs sounded clear…it took at least 3 weeks to get rid of all the fluid.

Very glad you are okay!

Esme

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert