MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

biopsy reading question

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board biopsy reading question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lucyc

Have any of you ever heard this? On diagnosis of bone marrow test it states that there were no immunophenotypic abnormaliaties but this does not exclude the diagnosis of myelodysplasia.
    PS. chromosome analysis was normal 46,xx. Oncologist diagnosed me with MDS. I am confused.

Dolittle

Hi Lucy…
    Wouldn’t it be nice to get a report back that is unequivocal!!
    I have had three BMBs and they have all said just about the same things on the aspirate.. “mild immunophenotypic abnormalities”, or “no definitive immunophenotypic evidence”. Myelodysplastic Syndrome cannot be excluded. I am also 46XX. My diagnosis was based on the biopsy which showed hypercellular marrow with dysplastic RBC precursors and lots of Ringed Sideroblasts. I try not to let it bother me because I trust my Oncologist’s judgement and I believe that I am getting excellent care. If this changes then perhaps it will be time for a second opinion.
    Maybe you could ask your doctor what led him to your diagnosis.

Jack_dup1

Try not to read to much into the BMB, I have had 14, number 15 will be in three weeks.
    I look for changes from one to another. Mine will say Markedly Hypercellular Activity (100%), mild phenotypic dysplasia consistent with persistent chronic myelomonocytic leukemia, plus a bunch of other things regarding the several processes they look at. Marrow, core biopsy, aspirate smears, ect. I let the expert worry about the details, I just make sure the expert is paying attention and I ask a lot of questions. It is a long ride, don’t sweat the small stuff, don’t ignore, just don’t dwell on it.
    Jack S.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert