MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Blast

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lisa Goodin
    Participant

Question. My mom was diagnosed in 2017 with RAEB1. She has decided to not treat. Yesterday at her doctor’s appt. her blast from the blood test showed 33%. This is up from 7% in November. Yet all of her blood counts are going up. HCT is 33.1%, HBG is 9.8, WBC is 3.1, ANC is .6 and platelet count is 45,000. I have decided that there really is no tracking this type of cancer. My question is, is there a difference between blast in the blood and blast in the bone marrow? I think I read if the blast are over 20 then it is considered AML but with all of her counts going up I am just not sure what to think. Can someone explain? Thanks

mdsfound

Hi Lisa, Thank you for your post with information regarding your mother’s health. When you have 19% blasts you have MDS. When it reaches 20% it is Acute Myeloid Leukemia. I know this is a difficult situation for you and I would recommend that you take her to one of our Centers of Excellence in MDS for a second opinion. There are many drugs in the pipeline for those who have AML. Following is a link to our Centers of Excellence worldwide https://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centeres-of-excellence/. If we can be of any further assistance, please email patientliaison@mds-foundation.org. I hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by mdsfound.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert