MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Blasts

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ScottieS

Hello to all forum members! I am a newcomer attending the forum from Denver, Colorado.

Question – My father was diagnosed with MDS about 3 years ago and has been taking Revlimid for a year +. He has seen steady fluctuations in his counts. Usually between 22-30. He has transfusions once or twice a month. He recently went in for a BMB and doctors say his blasts are at 4%. Can someone give further insight into blasts and the ranges?

Thank you and best wishes to everyone.

bill4872

Scottie-

According to the booklet “Understanding MDS: A PAtient Handbook” (available free from the MDS Foundation- it is an outstandard must-have reference that I just found after 3 years!), blasts (stem cells) are immature blood cells. With MDS, these blasts do not mature correctly and/or die young. The result is an abnormally large percentage of blasts in the bone marrow and fewer than normal mature blood cells in the blood (which accounts for your father’s low 22-30% Hematocrit vs the normal range of 36-52%). According to the table in this book, less than 5% blasts is good, in and of itself. (Blast ranges are 0-5%, 5-10%, 11-20%, and 21-30%, so you are in the lowest range.) But I am not a doctor or anything, I am only reporting what this patient handbook says.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert