MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Blood Transfusions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Blood Transfusions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dick

Interesting article in the Oct 22 issue of IIME magazine you might want to read.

It states that 70% of the Nitric Oxide in donor blood is lost within hours of leaving the body and by the time of its expiration date, 42 days later, the gas is gone.

Nitric Oxide ( NO) is a gas that interacts with the hemoglobin of the red blood cells and regulates how much oxygen red blood cells carry. Depleted blood could be replenished by exposing it to nitric oxide in liquid form.

This NO reduction causes a greater risk of heart attacks

Red Cross ( they oversee 14 million units of stored blood) is awaiting the results of more studies.

Dick

jga_socal

Thanx, I read the article. I think the danger is related to the danger of getting too much transfused blood at once; for instance, after an auto accident. Us regular xfusers who get 1 to 2 units at a sitting should not have this prob. What think?

gj

Interesting question. I will definitely have to read the article.
    My question would be if the blood being transfused is to replace volume then wouldn’t the body produce the oxygen necessary for the hemoglobin to work properly? Since the NO is being delpeted at a rate that it is gone by the date the blood expires, isn’t the NO there to in a sense “jump start” the system?

jga_socal

gj, If you search Google news you will get [ this page ] full of articles about this topic.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert