MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

BMT date aug. 29th

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board BMT date aug. 29th

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anneg

Hey everyone:

Got my dates. Pre-transplant med. eval. is scheduled for the 6th-8th of Aug. Transplant is scheduled for the 29th of Aug., a long as the donor is available. wanted to know what to expect during the medical evaluation. I know they will be doing another bone marrow biopsy, and checking every organ, but what does that involve? any help out there? Hope all is well.

Anneg
    God Bless

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Caridiac evaluation (echo, EKG ), pulmonary function testing, and a LOT of bloodwork. Talking to social workers, insurance people, many forms to fill out. You must have a support system in place especially when you return home. The hospital will make you list just who these people are that will help, etc. They required my husband to see an eye doctor and dentist. It may be awhile before you can have dental work done because of low counts, low immunity. They need a baseline for eye health because eyes are a biggy for graft versus host. I can’t remember about having your hearing checked. If I think of anything else, I will post again. The people involved in these transplant centers are the best. They are upbeat and kind AND very knowledgeable. If you can, just put it in the hands of the Lord, and his peace will see you through this.
    Mary

Anneg

Thanks Mary Support system I have a great one both up there and at home. And in gods hands it already is.

anneg
    god bless

ramey2148

Another quick word of advice is to make sure after u get transplant is to walk as much as u can and take care of your mouth with rinses and brushing. I know they seem like little things but they will mean a lot.
    Good luck,
    Bob

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Anneg,
    Bob is right about this. In Mike’s transplant room they had a big bottle of mouth rinse made up in the pharmacy right in his bathroom. He was told to use it as much as possible. The hall of the floor he was on went around in a circle. He was told to do so many laps a day – I can’t remember how many, but you had to add to it daily. They also made him get dressed EVERY day he was there and sit at a table and chair (in his room) to take his meals. They said this fights the image of illness and gives a positive frame of mind. Every day when I arrived, he had showered and was dressed and I really do think it helps with keeping positive frame of mind.

Mary

ramey2148

Anneg,
    GOOD LUCK! And stay POSITIVE!!!!!!
    Bob

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Ann,
    If you have your computer with you in the hospital and feel up to it, please let us know how you are doing. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

I know that you know, the Lord is the ultimate physician.

Mary

ramey2148

Ann. :),

I hope all went well. When You feel up to it we are here for you! If you want to know if how your feeling is normal just ask. Remember keep that mouthclean, go for at least a short walk everyday, and let your family and
    Friends take good care of you. Again CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jersey Guy
    Bob

ramey2148

Ann,

Hope all went well and our prayers are with you. Remember staying positive is part of the battle!
    Bob

HughHC

Anne

Curious as to how you are making out. I realize that you may not have access to a computer if you are still hospitalized but you are in my thoughts and prayers. Pleas share with us when you can as to how you are progressing.

Hugh HC

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Anne,
    Hope everything went well and that you are just using your strength to get through this part of the process and return home to recuperate.
    We are here for you whenever you are ready to correspond again.

Sending <<<<<<hugs>>>>>>>and prayers your way.

Mary

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert