MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Bone Marrow Aspirates – Not successful

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Bone Marrow Aspirates – Not successful

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lescolb

Hi – I am looking to see how many of you have been told that your marrow is so hyperplastic that they are unable to obtain an aspirate. THe biopsy (bone) part is OK and indicates that there is a hyperplastic marrow and not myelofibrosis. However, they are not able to get a sample to really look at the morphology, or do any of the cytology/genetic studies. They have used both the illiac crest(hip bone) and sternum – a total of 9 times at reputable places so I am sure the technique is not at fault. Also 5 different hematologists have tried. Does anyone have any suggestions, or can we just commiserate. ( I would rather go into a treatment with the odds in my favor based on a targeted mutation rather than do “lets try this for a while”)

Thanks for your responses. This is getting old!! :p

eve

my dad had that problem with the first few hemodocs he saw – the bmb came up dry – then the hemodoc at mt sinai in manhattan was able to get an aspiration

eve

Terri

Bobs Dr is Excellent at this he was dry at one of the BMA but the DR was able to get a sampling,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert