MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Bone Marrow Transplant Question

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Bone Marrow Transplant Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    R Van
    Participant

My family lives in Canada and my Dad has recently been diagnost with MDS. He has just been through his first round of Vidaza. He is a very strong 67 year old man and in good health overall. His doctor has told him he is too old to receive a bone marrow transplant. Is this solely determined by age? Has anyone had a transplant over 65 years old that can give me some feedback on whether we should be seeking another opinion? Thank you.

rar
    Participant

3 years ago at age 73 I received a SCT. Doctors say my MDS RAEBII is cured. Get at least a 2nd opinion.

Jennifer McDonald
    Participant

Hi R. Van,
    Last year my Mom was diagnosed with CMML which is in the MDS family of cancers. She was 65 at the time of diagnosis. At first, we were told a transplant is not an option. However, upon consulting with another group of dr.’s that actually do the stem cell transplants, they decided due to her good health, she is a good candidate for a transplant. Long story short, the two matching donors she had both fell through last minute. One donor may come available next spring and then she may have the option of a stem cell transplant. I think it is always good to get a second opinion on these types of cases.

R Van
    Participant

Thank you for your replies.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert