MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Bumps under his skin and open sore

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Bumps under his skin and open sore

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kathy7964

My Dad just completed his first treatment of Dacogen. After two weeks of getting the Dacogen he developed this sore on his upper thigh and red lumps on his legs and arms. The sore is very painful. His doctor said he doesn’t know what this sore is and he is in the hospital with high fever. Can someone please let me know if this is possibly from the Dacogen?
    Thanks

maueenh
    Participant

Kathy,

My dad has been on Vidaza (for 3 months) and does experience a rash where he receives his injections. He said it’s sore but not very painful. After his first treatment his blood counts fell (which is expected)and he had to receive a tx of both reds and platelets. When counts fall you have to be very careful of infection.

Maureen

KWJ

Ask the doctor about Sweets Syndrome. My dad got it after 2 doses of vidaza. Took them almost 7 days to figure out what it was. He got so sick, but once they figured out what it was they treated him with predisone. he got better and now is on dacogen. Waiting on BMB results now.

good luck.

Kathy7964

Thank you for the info. He has been in the hospital since Tuesday morning. The doctors are saying they do not know what this sore/rash is. They are giving him transfusions and four different types of antibiotics. Last night his fever reach 104 and he became delirious. We were so scared and the did a cat scan asap and the results were negative. They did a biopsy yesterday of the sore and we found out today it was lost so they had to do another biopsy. And the lumps have become a purple color and very painful. I spent all night with him with the chills and it’s just so hard to see him this way. He is slipping in the delirum again today since his fever is 103.5. They did mention something about this sweets syndrome.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

KWJ

Sounds like what happened with my dad, he was totally out of it…they finally figured it out and put him on predisone, it got better…I hope they figure it out soon. I bet it is sweets.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert