MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

can counts be too low for chemo?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board can counts be too low for chemo?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kls

My Dad is supposed to start Vidaza and PXD101 on Monday. He is worried that his counts are geting too low. Can they be too low to start? His nuetrophil is a .3 . His WBC is also very low. All of his counts are affected. Has anyone ever had to wait to do their treatment or is this more reason to get going? Since chemo will knock the counts down even further, does this make it more risky???? Please share your knowledge with me.KLS

Armansa

it is risky, but the doc knows his work, after chemo they will give him blood transfusion and all that it needs. Feel sorry 4 your dad. Just be brave and dont give up. I lost my brother before 2 weeks, he was 32, never brave, didnt listen for doctors advices…actualy he wanted to go…He didnt made up with chemo.
    My prears are with u

maueenh
    Participant

My father is on Vidaza and the doctor runs a complete blood count before they start each cycle. My understanding is that they will delay if counts are too low but I do not know what “too low” is. They may be able to administer other meds to help his counts such as Neupogen for wbc.

Naomi

kls:
    When you go on a trial there are parameters that are set up by the drug co. These must be followed or you can’t start or continue on the trial. I had to stop my revlimid when I fell below certain counts, but then started back when they came up.
    Naomi

kls

We saw the Dr. on Fri. and he said the counts looked OK to start. He said it didn’t matter that his nuetrophil was .3. His overall WBC was a 1.7(up a little from Weds). Thanks for the responses from all of you. Dad starts clinical trial tomorrow of Vidaza and PXD101.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert