MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Chemo and WBC's

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Chemo and WBC's

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Warren V.

I am currnetly getting chemo inpatient in preparation for a BMT on 2.15.0 (MDS recently became AML w/37% blasts). So that being said, after 5 days of chemo I am neutrapenic…does that mean the AML is going into remission or is that merely and indication it MIGHT be going into remission? Thanks!!

marylinda

Warren just wishing you the very best, I don’t know much about this but I’m sure others will be able to give you some information that will be helpful. I am praying for your fast recovery and a great new year with health and happiness.
    Marylinda

Suzanne

Warren, I don’t have any experience with the pre transplant chemo. But I believe it is similar to what I had. They are using the chemo to destroy all the old cells to get rid of the ones possibly carrying disease. I think they would hope to clean it out entirely so the new healthy cells they transplant in have an opportunity to engraft and start working. My guess is that you will be neutrapenic for quite a while and they will do as much as they can to protect you from infection and probably transfuse platelets and red cells. They did a bome marrow test on me-saying that the best they could find would be a clean slate.At that point they said I was in remission. People on the forum who actually had the pre transplant chemo should be able to tell you more about the process you are going through and what will define “remission” for you.It might be different. Things are also constantly changing as they learn more and develop new techniques so ask your doc’s when they come around on rounds! we are pulling for you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert