MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Concerned about father's life expectency…

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Concerned about father's life expectency…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    huckflen

Hi there, and thanks in advance for anyone who has anything to provide – I greatly appreciate your help.

My dad is 63, and has MDS with 20th chromosome deletion. He’s had Crohn’s most of his life, and was diagnosed about 3 years ago. He was given 2 years to live, due to the fact he was already very ill, underweight, and not in condition to receive any treatment aside from epogin/nupogin (excuse spelling on those) injections and blood transfusions.

The past 3 years have been awful, no two ways about it. My mom takes care of him full-time, we’re all close, and it’s been a slow decline.

None of the treatment stuff has helped, only blood transfusions. For a couple of years he was getting 2 units of blood once a month or so, when his crit hit 27. They’ve sped up quickly, and he’s now getting 2-3 units every other week.

Last week, he wound up in the ER because he hadn’t eaten for a week and was incoherent. He took 4 units of blood, tons of fluids, 2 IV antibiotics, and wound up staying 2 nights. He admitted later that he’d kind of lost himself in the haze and they’re now talking palliative care.

…except now, exactly one week after having 4 units of blood transfused, he’s down to 27 again.

I’m afraid that he’s going to be getting blood on a weekly basis. It’s getting worse, there’s nothing we can do to treat it, so we just try to improve quality of life. I doubt it’s long before we head into hospice and at that point, it’s a matter of days/weeks before he’s gone.

So for anyone who has seen family/friends go through this, can you provide any insight into what happens when the blood transfusions get to a weekly schedule? How long does he have before it goes even more downhill?

On a good day, my 6′ tall dad is about 110 lbs. He’s skin & bones.

I realize that this isn’t any exact science, but given that this board is directed at individuals who have/know people who have/had MDS, I’m hoping to get a first-hand view on this.

Thanks again for anybody who has any info/input. I greatly appreciate it.

lindajo

No one can predict when the end will come. His weight or lack therof is a huge problem. He has to eat or get nutrition and gain some back.

Not eating for a week can cause death in anyone his size. Many have survived over 500 transfusions. Priority for his comfort would be to get food in him anyway you can. I will pray for you.

Mary4Mike
    Participant

I have to agree with Lindajo. Your dad needs to eat and take fluids. I realize that this can be easier said than done when someone has no appetite. If he ate, he could go for sometime on weekly TXs, but everyone is different……there could be other health factors. You mentioned Crohn’s. If he is experiencing episodes of that, it could leave him severely dehydrated and low on electrolytes.

You are right, this isn’t an exact science. I don’t want this to be taken the wrong way, but if he continues to decline, it won’t be painful. He will most likely just slip away.

I am sure this isn’t what you wanted to read here, but I wouldn’t want to give you false hope. What are his doctor’s telling you?

You and your family are in my prayers.

Mary

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert