MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Cyclosporin

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Cyclosporin

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Warren V.

Almost forgot this question….Yesterday when they changed my chom over, the protocol calls for Cyclospin and Daunorubicin for 3 days. I had an EXTERME reaction to the Cyclosporin…not unlike feeling as though being cooked from the inside out and Blood Pres. Dias. up to 143 needless to say they decided to cut out the Cyclosporin…how important is the Clclosporing in this protocol as I said earlier I am neutopeninc with a neutrpophil, poly count of 0.42 k/ul.

I of course do realize that most of you/us are not Doc.s but this is such a treaure trove of wisdom and experience! Thanks!

Warren

lynette

Hi Warren,
    This is my first posting on the MDS web-site. My mom(74) was dx w/ RAEB-T in 8/05. She progressed to AML in 11/05. She was admitted to NY-Presbyterian(a center of excellence) for Arsenic(Trisenox) and ARA-C. After 2 weeks of treatment her blasts went from 40% to less than 10%. She received 2 add’l weeks of treatment, and is in remission. I have a been a nurse for 20 years and a Nursing Faculty for over 10 years. However, it is very different and difficult when the patient is your Mom. I have followed the web-site since August, but your question prompted my posting and response. Cyclosporin is an immune-suppressant. It is used in many different situations. It is commonly used in organ transplantation so that the new organ is not rejected. It also may be used in auto-immune diseases. In a BMT, the goal is to rid the body of the diseased bone marrow, and also to prevent rejection. Your side effect is not uncommon, although very difficult for many patients to tolerate. The neutrapenia that you are experiencing is a side effect of the chemo. It means that the chemo is destroying your white cells, specifically neutraphils. You are a risk for infection now, so be very careful–make certain that everyone who enters your room washes their hands (or uses anti-bacterial gel). Avoid any visitors who may be sick. Finally, don’t eat any foods that are not cooked thoroughly. Good luck!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert