MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dacogen – dispensed over 3 days instead of 5

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Dacogen – dispensed over 3 days instead of 5

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LuAnn

Hi, My dad is on Dacogen and receives the med via IV 5 days in a row with a break of 4 weeks between cycles. So far he has had 2 cycles. The med hits him really hard and I saw that some pts on the forum are receiving the Dacogen over a 3 day period every 6 weeks. I’d like to know why it’s dispensed over 3 days instead of 5. Is it to accommodate a certain schedule or is it to cut the reaction (side effects) of the meds. I want to talk with my dad’s doctor about reducing the dosage but would like some additional information from you all before I do. Appreciateany info you can share.

jaxem

LuAnn
    normally, the manufacturer recommends 3 day admin be given for 3 hours at 3x/day=27 hours admin @ 15 mg/sq meter body area = 405 mg total. MD Anderson did an accepted 5 day trial where it is given once/day over 3 hours for 5 days at 20 mg/sq meter body area = 300 mg total. yes, the 3 day gets more dacogen into patient but trial results show similar results. then it seems each doc is rolling their own recipes considering the above 2 protocols are usually given over a 6 week period. i see that your doc is doing it over 4 weeks. i would find out what concentration dacogen (mg/sq meter body area) the doc plans to use. hey, this is as precise as it gets in treating leukemia/mds patients. you need to stay on top of it all. my wife’s current admin gives her 15 mg/sq meter for one hour/day over 10 days but she also takes valproic acid with it per another MD Anderson protocol.

LuAnn

Thanks Jack. This is very helpful and I’ll review with the doctor.

Russ P.

LuAnn,
    I sent this e-mail to Dr. Issa at MD Anderson: “Noted that on the Dacogen web page it shows the dosage as 15mg/m², IV over 3 hours, every 8 hours for 3 days, cycle repeated every 6 weeks. By comparison the 1st week I had 40mg over an hour each day for 5 days – to be repeated every 4 weeks.” This is his reply: “Your doctor is following our own advice/protocol, which we think is better than the FDA approved dose that is on the web page.”
    Hope this helps,
    Russ

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert