MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dacogen – Dosage and details

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Dacogen – Dosage and details

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    krishananth

Hi

The docs are suggested Dacogen for my dad. But here in India we do not have anyone from whom we can hear/know of their experience with Dacogen.

Please could you share your experiences in terms of
    a. What is the dosage being taken.
    b. The kind of assistance/support provided by your doctor.
    c. What are (like counts …) being monitored during that period?
    d. What is the cost of the injection/vile?

Looking forward to hear from your experiences

Thanks
    Sandhya

jaxem

sandhya
    i can only provide you with my wife’s experience with dacogen. i believe 15 mg/sq meter of patient’s body area is administered by IV 3 hours/8 hour period for 3 days (total of 9 cycles)per round. patient should go through at least 4 rounds. 1st round should be given in hospital setting to observe patient’s reaction to drug. blood level checks will need to be done during each 6 week round. side effect is lowering of platelets, rbc’s & wbc’s & therefore transfusions & wbc shots w/ neupogen/neulasta will be required. the drug manufacturer is Pharma & you can access more info about them, cost of the drug and re dacogen using your browser. the drug is purchased in concentration form & must be diluted according to patient’s body area by a pharmacist.

i hope i’ve been of help.

krishananth

Thanks a lot Jack. yes this info will help.

Another opinion required. We are from India. Some of my close relatives feel that getting the initial few dosages of Dacogen in the US will help.
    In India, so far we have not heard of this drug and really not sure if by taking this we are/will be falling into trouble.

Please suggest.

Thanks
    Sandhya

jaxem

sandhya
    like any drug, side effects can be different between patients. i don’t believe you need to travel 1/2 way around the world to be administered this drug which takes 3 days/round every 6 weeks with 4 rounds minimum required. once prescribed, a pharmacist mixes it and a nurse administers it by IV. my wife actually received her 2nd, 3rd & soon to be 4th round of dacogen at home. i do believe he needs to be given the 1st round in the hospital so that a round-the-clock watch can be made as to his health and any “trouble”.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert